Aside from choosing a best workstation motherboard, you also need to consider the connection between all of your other components.
Workstations are used for some very demanding applications, so they need to be built with high-end components.
Learn more about the B series motherboards for workstations by reading the best B450 motherboards and the best B350 motherboards.
In this guide, you’ll learn about the best motherboards for your workstation based on the features, pros, and cons of each model.
Top 8 Best Motherboards For Workstation
1. ASUS AMD AM4 Pro WS X570-Ace
The ASUS AM4 workstation motherboard will be used to build a workstation. In addition to AMD’s Zen and Excavator microarchitectures, there is no better workstation platform than the AMD AM4 Socket.
As an example, you can install NVMe SSDs in two M.2 slots for ultra-fast data transfer speeds. A U.2 NVMe slot is also present on the motherboard, as well as three type M sockets. In addition, the X570 features four DIMM slots for DDR4 ECC memory.
In addition to the multi-way graphics support, the X570 has three PCIe 4.0 x 16 slots to support crossfire or SLI GPU arrangements. A VGA holder from ASUS prevents the display from bowing and bending.
Additionally, the X570 has a metal-fin-array VRM heatsink that reduces throttling by better dissipating heat. Additionally, the motherboard features a Procool II connector that maximizes endurance.
By using ASUS Control Center, you can manage the dual GbE LAN chips out-of-band, allowing you to save money on subscriptions. In terms of ports, the X570 features five USB 3.2 Type A and C ports as well as two USB 3.2 Gen1 ports.
- Three M-type slots, one U-type slot, and two M.2 slots
- With three PCIe x 16 slots and a VGA holder, it supports multi-way graphics
- Type A and Type C USB ports are supported
- Array of metal fins on the VRM heatsink
- A control center with dual GbE LANs from ASUS
- AMD’s latest processors are supported by the AM4 socket
- Fast data transfer via USB Type C
- Supports high-performance NVMe SSDs
- Heat dissipation is excellent with VRM heatsinks and Procool II connectors
- Connectivity options that are ultra-fast
- Wireless connectivity is not onboard
- The price is a bit high
2. MSI Performance X470 Gaming AMD X470
There are a number of affordable best workstation motherboards available such as the MSI Performance X470. Gaming enthusiasts will also be pleased with this model.
Ryzen processors of the first and second generations, AMD’s Vega Graphics, A-series processors, and Athlon X4 processors can be installed on this motherboard.
A Steel Armor PCI-E slot that supports AMD Crossfire GPU configurations can support multi-way graphics. Furthermore, it can be overclocked to boost its performance, and DDR4 Memory is compatible with it.
X470 motherboards are known for their VR readiness (one of the best motherboards for VR), allowing your computer’s settings to be optimized for superior VR performance. Additionally, you can use the Mystic RGB light to customize the style of your motherboard.
By optimizing the power design, Core Boost technology is able to maximize system performance utilizing more cores.
Also, this motherboard features the highly-acclaimed Click BIOS 5 with its high-resolution scalable font, search functionality, and favourites feature. In addition, LAN gamers will appreciate the gaming-optimized LAN chip, low latency, and efficient bandwidth management on this motherboard. The best gaming motherboards can also be found on this site.
This technology enhances your gaming experience by providing studio-quality sound. Additionally, Turbo M.2 slots and Turbo USB 3.1 Gen 2 capabilities deliver fast data transfer speeds.
- AM4 sockets for AMD
- With Steel Armor PCIe slots, multi-way graphics are possible
- With overclocking capabilities for DDR4 memory
- Technologies such as Core Boost and Audio Boost
- Click BIOS 5 in the search box
- Low-latency gaming LAN
- AMD processors are supported
- Supports AMD Crossfire setups with multiple GPUs
- This version is optimized for VR
- A light that has seven colors, the Mystic RGB
- Wi-Fi is not built-in
3. MSI Creator TRX40 Motherboard
The MSI Creator TRX40 is a superb best motherboard for workstations if you’re looking for a premium product. In addition to offering outstanding performance and fast processing speeds, the TRX40 is specifically designed to support AMD’s 3rd Gen Ryzen Threadripper processors.
The motherboard provides consistent performance thanks to its 16-phase 70A digital power components, an efficient PCB layout, and an extended heatsink. As well as nine PWM fan headers, this motherboard has three dedicated thermal sensors for keeping your system cool.
In addition to seven Lightning Gen4 M.2 slots, you can also add four additional Lightning Gen4 M.2 slots to the XPANDER-AERO Gen4. Furthermore, you can install high-capacity HDDs in the 6 SATA 6Gb/s slots. The HD audio connectors ensure high-quality audio as well.
The Lightning USB 20G is 4x faster than USB 3.2 Gen1 and allows you to send large files within seconds. USB 3.2 Gen1 and Gen2 are also supported. In addition to having an onboard Wi-Fi 6 chip, this motherboard is a plus.
- The AMD Ryzen 3rd generation processor is compatible with the extended ATX form factor
- Wireless 6 and Intel Gigabit LAN
- A Gen4 M.2 XPANDER-AERO slot and seven Gen4 Lighting M.2 slots
- Type C and Type A USB Lightning support
- Nine PWM fans and three thermal sensors
- The cooling system has an extended heatsink, which provides excellent cooling
- Wireless LAN chip built-in to Intel
- 20Gbps Lightning USB ultra-fast
- This device is compatible with M.2 SSDs
- Audio of the highest quality
- Costs are high
4. ASUS Pro WS W480 ACE LGA1200
With the ASUS Pro WS W480 ACE, you get a powerful workstation motherboard at an affordable price.
In addition to being able to accommodate the latest Intel Core processors, this motherboard is also capable of accommodating the latest Intel Xeon W series processors. For your workstation, this means lightning-fast performance.
A 12+2 VRM power stage, multi-GPU support, and improved memory frequency ensure consistently reliable performance. Additionally, it comes with two PCIe NVMe M.2 slots where you can install SSDs for fast data transfer.
You can control your IT management and monitoring more easily with ASUS Control Center Express. In addition, you can also access system-wide hardware components through the RTL8117 controller, so system maintenance is simplified and easier.
Thunderbolt 3 Type-C ports facilitate ultra-fast data transfer on the W480. Aside from that, USB Type-A ports are also available. With an onboard Intel 2.5 Gb Ethernet port, you also get twin LAN ports for fast transfers.
- Two PCIe NVMe M.2 slots
- Management controller RTL8117
- Multi-GPU support with 12+2 VRM power stages
- Thunderbolt 3 Type-C ports on both sides
- Software for ASUS Control Center Express
- Supports Intel’s latest 10th generation processors
- Thunderbolt 3 provides superfast data transfer speeds
- Monitor and manage IT in a convenient manner
- Wi-Fi is not built-in
5. GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master comes with AMD Ryzen 2nd and 3rd Gen and AMD ryzen workstation motherboards with Radeon Vega Graphics Processors, making it one of the best motherboards for the X570.
X570 also comes with Ultra-Fast NVMe PCIe 4.0/3.0 x4 M.2 with Triple Thermal Guards, which allows data transfers with SSDs to be rapid. Using the Smart Fan 5 technology, you can implement FAN STOP, noise detection, and complete control over the motherboard’s fan system.
If you want to add a little zing to your system, the X570 supports RGB Fusion 2.0 with multi-zone LEDs. Could this be the best RGB motherboard?
A breathtaking surround-sound experience is assured by the ESS SABRE DAC audio suite in conjunction with Realtek’s ALC1220 Codec.
Connectivity options include an Intel WiFi 6 802.11ax chip and Bluetooth 5 with two AORUS antennas. Furthermore, the motherboard supports DDR4 Memory as well as USB 3.1 Type C and Type A.
- There are four high-speed NVMe PCIe M.2 slots and three thermal guards
- Featuring FAN STOP technology, the Smart Fan 5 system
- RBG Fusion 2.0 with LED multi-zones
- Gigabit LAN connection with Intel WiFi 6 802.11ax + BT 5 + Realtek 2.5GbE + Intel WiFi 6 802.11ax + BT 5
- AMD Ryzen 2nd and 3rd generation processors compatible
- Lighting based on RGB
- Realtek codecs provide excellent audio performance
- Wireless and Bluetooth connectivity onboard
- It is compatible with ultrafast SSDs
- USB headers for thunderbolt are not available
6. GIGABYTE X399 Designare EX
With its high-end components and versatile connectivity options, the GIGABYTE X399 is one of the best workstation motherboards out there.
You’ll enjoy ultra-fast processing speeds and unmatched multi-threaded performance with the AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors that come with your motherboard. In addition, the X399 provides excellent graphics thanks to Dual Armor and Ultra Durable Design.
There are also 8 DIMM slots that are compatible with ECC/NON-ECC Unbuffered DDR4 memory. As a side note, you can overclock your RAM to get a slight performance boost. A third PCIe M.2 slot on the motherboard enables the installation of the latest NVMe SSDs for fast data transfer.
RGB Fusion 2.0’s multi-zone LED light makes it an ideal motherboard for customizing your style using digital and RGB LED.
Audio-wise, the X399 enhances its performance with ALC1220 120dB SNR HD Audio, which is enabled by WIMA audio capacitors and Smart Headphone AMP. In order to allow you to fully control all the fans on your motherboard, Smart Fan 5 incorporates several temperature sensors and hybrid fan headers.
Lastly, the dual USB Type C ports on the rear and front allow for lightning-fast file transfers. With Dual Intel GbE LAN chip and cFosSpeed Internet Accelerator software, you get a fast and reliable internet connection, and a built-in Wi-Fi chip.
- Three M.2 PCIe slots
- Fan 5 Smart
- Type C USB support
- cFosSpeed with dual GbE LAN chips and Wi-Fi + Bluetooth
- Fusion 2.0 RGB LED Multi-Zone
- AMD Ryzen Threadripper processor compatibility
- Four directions of graphic support
- The audio quality is excellent
- Superior graphics performance with multi-GPU setups
- Wi-Fi connectivity built-in
- The antenna for Bluetooth is weak
7. ASUS WS Z390 PRO
With its support for Socket 1151 and 9th Gen Intel Core processors, the WS Z390 PRO is designed specifically for use in workstations.
Overclocking performance on this motherboard is amazing. The Z390 features a 5-Way Optimization, Auto-Tuning, and FanXpert 4 that allow you to overclock your workstation without damaging any of its components.
The Z390 PRO is also compatible with AMD CrossfireX and NVIDIA SLI. With dual M.2 and U.2 slots, you can also install fast NVMe SSDs.
ASUS ensured the Z390 PRO would appeal to audiophiles by including their exclusive Realtek S1220A with Crystal Sound3 and DTS Headphone:X.
OptiMem II technology is also notable in the Z390 PRO, as it ensures that memory signals travel across multiple layers of the circuit board, which reduces crosstalk by adding shielding zones.
It is capable of synchronizing RGB lighting with other AURA-enabled devices, including other workstations.
For ultra-fast data transfers, the motherboard utilizes an add-on card for Thunderbolt 3. Other ports include USB 3.1 Gen2 and HDMI.
- The socket 1151 has a U.2 and M.2 slot
- With FanXpert 4 and OptiMem II, you can optimize your memory in five ways
- Realtek S1220A with DTS Headphone X and Crystal Sound3
- Graphics support in four directions
- The Thunderbolt 3 panel has Thunderbolt 3 headers along with USB 3.1 Gen 2 and Intel Gigabit Ethernet
- Supports Intel Core processors from the 9th generation
- Automatic overclocking profiles provide outstanding overclocking performance
- It has a Thunderbolt 3 interface that is fast
- Support for multi-GPUs with AMD CrossfireX and NVIDIA SLI
- Support for NVMe SSDs with high performance
- A wireless chip is not onboard
8. ASRock Z370 extreme4
The ASRock Z370 extreme4 is our final pick for a best workstation motherboard. Despite its reasonable price, this motherboard does not sacrifice much in terms of features compared to higher-end models.
This workstation delivers the brains you need with a Socket 1151 that supports 8th Generation Intel Core processors.
To provide extra protection, the processor’s current flow is fairly regulated with a 12-phase VRM and a Digital PWM.
The Z370 can rock NVIDIA Quad SLI or AMD CrossFireX setups without a problem thanks to its multi-way graphics support. Additionally, it supports overclocked DDR4 memory that can reach speeds of up to 4333 MHz.
The Z370 offers 7.1 CH HD Audio, supported by Purity Sound 4 & DTS Connect, thanks to Realtek’s ALC1220 Audio Codec. A SATA3 slot and a PCIe Gen3 x4 slot are also included in the Z370’s Ultra M.2 slots. Eight additional SATA3 slots are also included.
GIGABYTE Z370 supports Intel Optane Memory for maximum SSD and HDD performance and capacity. This motherboard supports both USB Type-A and Type-C ports. Nine USB 3.1 Gen1 ports are also included.
- Graphics support in multiple directions
- There are two Ultra M.2 slots (PCIe Gen3 x4 as well as SATA3)
- Lighting with RGB LEDs
- 12 power phases and digital PWM
- Type C support for two USB 3.1 Gen2 ports and nine USB 3.1 Gen1 ports
- Supports Intel’s 8th generation processors
- NVIDIA Quad SLI and AMD CrossFireX 3-Way Compatibility
- Taking advantage of Intel Optane memory
- Solid-state drives (SSDs) compatible
- The audio quality is impressive
- Supports only Intel Core i7 and i5 processors
- Wireless connectivity is not onboard
Frequently Asked Questions of Best Motherboard Workstations
Do Motherboards Affect Workstation Performance?
The type of processors your motherboard can support and its overclocking capabilities affect the performance of your workstation. The CPU socket on your motherboard determines whether you can install a high-end CPU. If the motherboard does not provide adequate cooling, you will not be able to overclock your CPU fully.
How should I choose a motherboard for my workstation?
Before purchasing a motherboard for your workstation, you should take the following factors into consideration:
- Factors affecting form
- Socket type of CPU
- Type and number of RAM slots
- Types and generations of USB ports
- Solutions for connecting your devices
- Multi-directional graphics support
- Performance overclocking and cooling
- PCI slots available
What effect does the motherboard of a workstation have on RAM speed?
The type of slots on your motherboard directly affects the speed of your RAM. The RAM speed of your motherboard may be able to be overclocked from 2133MHz to 3000MHz if it has performance-grade DIMM slots. You can also increase the RAM stick count by using more slots.
The best workstation motherboard is the one that suits your needs. There are many boards to choose from, so you should do some research on what kind of motherboard will suit your needs before making a purchase. It may be helpful to ask yourself, “What is the CPU type on my current or future computer?” and “Do I need more than four DIMM slots?.” If you’re not sure where to start, our team can help you find the perfect board for your business by providing advice based on hundreds of hours researching motherboards in-depth. Contact us today!